Walking Pilgrim 5: Desire
This is perhaps the deepest topic yet! I'm interested in Buddhism, and the Buddha taught extensively about the nature of desire. He called it the root of all suffering! Some people say life would be boring without desire. It can certainly seem that way. But, perhaps it seems that way because the main aims of our lives is seeking pleasure and avoiding pain.
I'm interested in evolutionary psychology. I believe desire is a patterned way of think built into our brains. DNA has created many patterns of living, growing, and in animals, thinking. Eating, drinking, sex are all key to survival--of ourselves and of humans in general. So desire has served a very important purpose. But perhaps we don't see how deeply desire controls us. And perhaps we can't imagine the freedom and joy that would come if we overcame desire.
I'm interested in evolutionary psychology. I believe desire is a patterned way of think built into our brains. DNA has created many patterns of living, growing, and in animals, thinking. Eating, drinking, sex are all key to survival--of ourselves and of humans in general. So desire has served a very important purpose. But perhaps we don't see how deeply desire controls us. And perhaps we can't imagine the freedom and joy that would come if we overcame desire.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home