Walking Pilgrim1: Freedom
What does freedom mean to you? is a very broad question with no easy answer. Walking Pilgrim, the writer of the story, sets out on a journey to inquire into this and other important questions. He accepts the challenge of the question, and the challenge of finding answers despite the enormous difficulty involved with giving up all money and possessions. His is an act of trust, a brave act of trust that he can survive, and that his needs will be met. Few people have the mental or physical strength to attempt this.
And my answer? I can't give just one answer. Of course I want the freedom to speak my mind, to think freely, and to generally act freely--as long as my actions don't harm others or the earth. More importantly, perhaps, is psychological freedom. When I ate lots of sweets I was, in a sense, addicted. After dinner I always wanted dessert. If I saw chocolate, I desired it. If I ate some, I wanted more. Then, for several years, I ate no sugar; I completely gave it up. I felt much freer. In this sense, freedom was a lack of desire. It was very relaxing. This sort of freedom is very profound and worth seeking.
And my answer? I can't give just one answer. Of course I want the freedom to speak my mind, to think freely, and to generally act freely--as long as my actions don't harm others or the earth. More importantly, perhaps, is psychological freedom. When I ate lots of sweets I was, in a sense, addicted. After dinner I always wanted dessert. If I saw chocolate, I desired it. If I ate some, I wanted more. Then, for several years, I ate no sugar; I completely gave it up. I felt much freer. In this sense, freedom was a lack of desire. It was very relaxing. This sort of freedom is very profound and worth seeking.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home